Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Job Offer

Today was a busy day. I had a 10am meeting. I also had a 1.30pm meeting and then there was a 5.30pm event. However, the big event happened at noon. I did a job interview by video conference. It seemed that they liked what I had to say.

Later this afternoon, my cell phone went and I was told that they wanted to make me an offer. Were the situation to be ceteris paribus this would be beyond cool. This is a very good university, in a very good program. Unfortunately, there are a couple 'howevers'. The position is only a one year temporary gig. Being in a good place for a year should be fun, so this should be good. I have tenure so that this should not matter. Then there is the second 'however'. It seems that there are major health care issues. If I take this position, I could lose all my retirement benefits accumulated so far. Given the changes in the system, this could be a big hit, albeit one I will get years from now.

There may be ways around this. I have calls in to all the health system hackers that I know in the State. I have not heard back from a couple I would have like to have heard from by now. I am worried about the propensity in this neck of the woods to not tell bad news. Just not replying is easier. Maybe I will hear from them tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I have a tough question to face. Do I want to roll the dice and make it difficult for me to stay in my present position in the long term, or do I play it safe? This is a real quandary. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The CP

3 Comments:

Blogger Bardiac said...

Can you take a year's leave? I know that's something folks suggest when tenured people want to try out an administrative position.

10:51 PM  
Blogger LumpenProf said...

Congratulations! It's nice to be loved. The one thing that so many departments forget after the initial romance of recruiting a new hire is that faculy retention depends on showing a little bit of continuing love -- bitter department meetings and slanders in the hallways just don't do it.

Taking a one-year unpaid leave is a good idea and usually easy to arrange. Since you aren't leaving your tenure line, it shouldn't have any impact on your retirement money and health care and such, but it's always best to get everything in writing.

Good luck!

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with lp. An unpaid leave is best, if at all possible. Noone believes its in your best interest to loose your retirement.

After the one year position, you may decide to choose a different, and more lucrative position elsewhere.

On the other hand, you'll be
greatly missed by your friends.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on 
BlogShares web stats Site Meter