Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Galileo And Grading

On his death bed in 1642, Galileo Galilei was reputed to have said with his dying breath,

"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

I have spent the day grading final papers and, if we take Galileo seriously, then I am forced to conclude that some of my students must be a Godless lot. How after a full semester some of them can still manage to spell Locke's name 'Lock' and Berkeley's name 'Berkley' is quite beyond me. Stranger still is the fact that some of them use both spellings in the same paper. I guess the power of modern spell checkers has taught some to forget the gentle art of proof reading. Fortunately, it is only a few who have forgone the use of reason and intellect. It is still annoying though.

The CP

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, proofreading is sooooo passe.

Plese excuse all of my previous typos, including the one that is in this response. :)

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on 
BlogShares web stats Site Meter