Friday, July 27, 2007

The Wanderer Returns

I have returned from my travels. They were interesting and fun. The British floods certainly added a dash of 'color' to my adventures. I also discovered how poor and expensive Internet access can be in some parts of the world, even in ostensibly 'civilised' places. Paying a high price to access e-mail, on a rather old Mac, which has a keyboard with keys that have been put in the wrong place must rate as an all time low point. However, I was able to have some quite athletic fun when away from the machines.

Unfortunately, upon my return home, I discovered a problem. It seems during my absence, my refrigerator broke down. I now live in a house with a cooler for keeping things cold. This is something that I will have to do something about very soon. At least this proves that philosophers, combat, or not, are afflicted by the same kinds of woes as other folks.

On my travels, I was able to manage to get a research meeting with a couple of old friends. These kinds of events are always fun. We began with a curry and then retired to a pub. After several pints, we had mapped out a research strategy that, even in the more sober light of the following day, looks very promising. I hope that it pans out. It was also nice to just spend time with friends, swapping gossip and news.

I think that this is one of the things that makes academia most rewarding. One builds up relationships over years that are close and lasting. They may begin professionally, but can later blossom into deeper friendships. As a bonus, great research work can also be yielded by such liaisons. Although such friendships are often maintained by phone and e-mail, getting together face to face from time to time, is a wonderful bonus.

However, now it is time to get back into the domestic swing of things. There are chores to be done and bills to be paid. I will also get back into regular blogging. It is interesting, looking at the connection logs from my time away, how many people have been dropping by this blog, even while I was away. As some of the visitors are 'regulars' I recognise from their point of origin, I want to thank all you folks for your loyalty. Now, though I have to first begin by unpacking...*groan*.

The CP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on 
BlogShares web stats Site Meter