Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Old Man And The Frog

This evening, I went walking in my neighbourhood. I like to walk. It is a good way to get exercise and in my neighbourhood, it is a good way to find out what is going on. As I was walking, a car stopped. It was one of the older residents. This is a man I know. A true community leader. He wanted to chat.

For a while we chatted in the street, then we went back to his house as his car was blocking the road. It is important to know that the neighbourhood that I live in is historically important. It has been a place for Free People of Color since before the civil war.

There have been some changes in this neighbourhood of late. Out of State corporations have been moving in. This mostly is motivated by post 2005 Hurricane money that is available. I have been quite active in trying to defend the area and it's history from these outside invasions.

The senior gentleman wanted to chat about recent developments. In this last week, this little area has gained over $300k in support from various sources. We talked at length about how best to spend the money. Now, I am very far from the only person involved and responsible for this. However, I have played a significant role in making these things happen. I am proud of being able to play this role.

It is amazing when one reads the silly blogs about race issues how few of them talk about taking concrete steps to actually make things better. Indeed, they appear to be racists, in politically correct clothing. They hand out harassment and attract similarly inclined flakes and fools. However, they never mention anything practical that they have done. Far more important than spouting politically correct views (or not, as the case may be), is taking steps that actually make a difference. Actions speak much louder than mere words.

After my walk when I got home, on the steps to my house, I was met by a frog. This was unusual. Toads I see often, but frogs are quite rare. I was happy to see the frog, just as I was happy to see my old friend. I wonder how many of the politically correct racists can claim such things?

The CP

2 Comments:

Blogger Toastedsuzy said...

I think a lot about things like this, too. On the one hand, I know that all change begins with language and the free exchange of ideas. Sut you're right, it doesn't stop there.

(This is why I feel like such a fraud most of the time.)

And it is unfortunate that in forums where ideas are exchanged about race, gender, class and other important issues the language used is so combative and divisive.

But then, we are taught, especially in this culture, that competition leads to progress. And so a lot of our "discussions" become competitions, and instead of arguing to arrive a truth or at some common ground, we argue to win--to humiliate our opponents.

(Also, a lot of the internet languages have their origins in gaming forums, where participants in chat etc. are literally competitors.)

It's sad, but I believe it's changing. Slowly.

And if anyone disagrees with me, I will give you the internet ass-kicking of a lifetime. See if I don't!

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had a brief discussion with an newfound (white) aquaintance about racism. The thing about racism and other "isms" is that it's a means by which people use it to justify the maintenance of their "superior" socio-economic or religious position. Isn't always about power?

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on 
BlogShares web stats Site Meter