Saturday, June 30, 2007

Random Eight Blog Game

They say that lightening does not strike twice. I hope that someone has told the lightening about this. However, in blog 'games' (as I prefer to call them rather than the more common term 'meme', which somehow seems inappropriate), one can get struck twice. I have been tagged twice in the eight random facts blog game, first by Tim Lacy and then by The Tenured Radical. In fact, the Radical was tagged by both Tim and by Adjunct Whore.

Apparently, the nature of this game is such that one has to first come up with eight random facts about one's self and post them one one's blog. Hopefully, these facts should be interesting, or perhaps surprising. Hopefully, people will avoid facts that are too disturbing. It should also be the case that these facts are actually true (some people may find it hard to conform to this suggestion). The second stage is that one has to then tag eight other people to also play the game. Of course, one is also supposed to explain the rules too, as I have just done.

So, here are my eight random facts:

  1. I once denied the current Governor of the State of Louisiana, Kathleen Blanco, access to a VIP area, because she lacked the proper pass, even if she did have a State trooper with her (she was Lieutenant Governor at the time).

  2. As an undergraduate, I worked doing security at rock and roll venues. I worked with the Pogues, Dr. and The Medics, Huska Du, Billy Bragg and The Sisters of Mercy, to name a few. At a concert by The Lords of The New Church, I fell off stage, into the crowd.

  3. I speak a few words of Cree and can read Classical Chinese, albeit very slowly.

  4. Neither of my parents graduated from college and I dropped out after my first year, only to go back later.

  5. I play the mandolin. I also play backgammon at the expert level.

  6. I once had a rear wheel blow out on a motorcycle, while doing over 120 m.p.h. However, I managed to control the machine and did not even fall off.

  7. I once disarmed a guy with a gun, armed with nothing but pure rhetoric. This was because I was unarmed and the gun was pointed at me at the time. I had few other options.

  8. I have had my poetry published. Unfortunately, I have lost the text of every poem that was published.


What can I say? I have always attempted to misspend my youth as efficiently as possible!

Ok, now I have to nominate eight other bloggers to participate in this game. I choose Bardiac, Lumpenprofessoriat, Dr. Crazy, Indexed (how that turns out could be interesting!), Dr. Virago, Flavia, (these last two are not really fair, as they have been travelling, but what the hell), Anastasia and ToastedSuzy. If they get lucky, I may even mention to these folks that they have been tagged.

The CP

8 Comments:

Blogger gwoertendyke said...

fun fun, i so enjoy reading the progress of a meme--and what insane experiences you have had.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Flavia said...

These are some of the best--in terms of interest and inherent coolness--random facts I've seen. Thanks for sharing!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Tenured Radical said...

Good God, man. It sounds like you were a Hell's Angel before you became a philosopher. Your students must think you kick ass.

TR

1:12 PM  
Blogger The Combat Philosopher said...

AW, I try... ;)

Flavia, thank you. Yours were pretty good too -- especially all that old stuff you have. Way cool.

TR, as Wittgentein said at the end of his Tractatus, "That whereof we cannot speak, we must pass over in silence." Actually, the smart kids like me, the idle and the idiots hate me. That is just fine by me.

The CP

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wildman and a nerd? It smacks of 007 and I like it. ;)

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on some other blog entries from you, I was interested in knowing you sexual orientation(as an FYI).

10:33 PM  
Blogger The Combat Philosopher said...

Anon,
I am regular straight. Nothing interesting here. Sorry. However, based on my reading of the blog connection logs, I suspect that you may know this already.

The CP

10:56 PM  
Blogger Dr. Virago said...

CP -- I finally did my contribution. It should be linked below in your list of links to your post.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on 
BlogShares web stats Site Meter