Saturday, October 28, 2006

Blogs, Books and So-Called 'Memes'

So, over at the ever excellent GBitch Blog, there is one of those odd blog 'memes'. I'm not a huge fan of the use of this term in this context, nor do I find the activities suggested in these things especially worthwhile. In this case though, I am going to make an exception. The reasons for this exception are that (1) this is a self-selecting exercise -- this seems much more sensible than the silly 'tagging' that often happens, and (2) when I tried to follow the instructions (just for fun), the results were pretty funny. So here we go.

---

Let us begin with the instructions:

The Rules:

1. Grab the nearest book.

2. Open the book to page 123.

3. Find the fifth sentence.

4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.

5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.

---

When I did this, I was faced with a dilemma. There were two books that were equidistant from me. So, for fun, I have followed the instructions for both books.

Book I

"In courtship, the masculine principle must seize the initiative and place itself below the feminine principle.

Just as the first part of the book I begin with the hexagrams of heaven and earth, the foundations of all the exists, the second part begins with the hexagrams of courtship and marriage, the foundations of all social relationships.

THE JUDGMENT

Influence. Success."

[For completeness, the rest of the judgment reads "Perseverance furthers. To take a maiden to wife brings good fortune."]


Wilhelm, R. (1951), I Ching, or Book of Changes, RKP (London).


Book II

"Thus, a deterministic PDA [Push Down Automaton] suffices to execute the program we have defined.

Having developed a procedure to parse a regular expression, we now add statements to output a finite automaton. Each procedure is modified to return a finite automaton. In procedure FIND_TERM, if the input symbol is 0, 1, e, or [Greek letter Phi], a finite automaton accepting 0, 1, e, or [Greek letter Phi] is created and FIND_TERM returns this automaton."


Hopcroft, J. and Ullman, J. (1979), Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages and Computation, Addison-Wesley (Reading, MA).

I guess I should be a bit more careful about the kinds of things that I have to hand!

The CP

1 Comments:

Blogger G Bitch said...

I like the self-revealing and voluntary nature of it, too. I'd like to do it once a month to see if my reading changes or I still have the same book 2 feet away.

Thanks, as always, for the praise.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on 
BlogShares web stats Site Meter