Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Fun Web Toy

Recently, over at Dr. Virago's 'QuodShe' blog, a reference to an interesting web toy appeared. I have been meaning to take a look at it for a while, but finally got around to it today.

If one goes to the http://www.world66.com/myworld66 site, there are some really neat tools which enable one to visualize things like the US States one has visited, Canadian Provinces visited, countries in Europe and the like. I really like these tools. With them I learned that I have not traveled enough to the US West coast and the Midwest. I was also especially gratified with my coverage of Canada (if one ignores the Northern Territories).

What is interesting though is the other, less obvious, uses that this tool can be put to. For instance, taking a look at all the places where one has got stuck on a plane trip is quite revealing. More interesting yet, is plotting all the States that have relatively recently got hit by hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and other similar natural disasters can also produce interesting results. Plotting all the States that one has dated someone from can be a bit depressing.

Anyhow, I find these tools quite fun, so I thought that I would share them. I especially like the fact that they work with just plain HTML code and do not require JavaScript, or any other horrors like that. If anyone has any ideas for particularly bizarre and/or amusing uses of these tools, then I would love to hear about it.

The CP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on 
BlogShares web stats Site Meter