Monday, June 04, 2007

Around And About

The business of no Internet at home has finally got to me. I have given up on the old set up, which had become intractably complex. I have now decided to use another provider. To my amazement, with incentives to sign up and all that, the new system will end up costing me less, for better service. Thus, this is a good outcome.

I had something of a busy weekend. On Friday, by chance a well known international artist paid us a visit. He has friends locally. Thus after his performance, he and his band ended up at someones house for a jam. It was excellent! A good time was had by all.

Saturday, was made more exciting by a strange visitor in my house. This very large and odd insect showed up in my office. I looked like some kind of alien. I managed to get a picture of it, although not a very good one.

It was a little over three inches long and did not seem to do a great deal. I tried to catch it, so that I could let it out, but I could not find a way of doing so, without running the risk of hurting the little critter. It was fascinating to watch though. I did a little bit of research and discovered that it is a beast known as a 'Walkingstick', or a 'Stick Insect'. When I worked this out, I realised that I had seen one before, although many years ago. The previous ones I had seen were much greener than my visitor. I guess not seeing the animal in it's natural environment was what threw me off. Eventually, I was able to put it into the garden.

Yesterday was an interesting day too. I was invited by my now graduated ex-graduate student to have lunch with his family. They were a wonderful and funny crew. The food was excellent too. What made the trip especially interesting was that it involved a run to a part of Louisiana I had never been to before, Pointe Coupee Parish.

It is an interesting and pretty place. We took a side trip to visit a graveyard, where many of my student's relatives were buried. Perhaps I am a little odd, but I find graveyards fascinating places. This one did not disappoint. There were quite a few Civil War graves. Several of the grave markers were written all in French. There was even one grave that went back to 1798!

Thus, this was a busy and interesting weekend. Hopefully, later in the week, when the Internet problem is finally resolved, I will be able to get back to my usual posting schedule. In the meantime, I want to thank all the faithful readers of this blog who still seem to be dropping by.

The CP

1 Comments:

Blogger Tenured Radical said...

CP:

I would love to change my internet provider too, but it is such a drag -- I realize that all these companies get us sucked in by how difficult hte transitions are in getting equipment, waiting for home visits, and so on.

Your walking stick, I believe, changes colors in relation to her environment: the poor dear was, I think, trying to blend in with the floor.

Hope you are well and not too hot!

TR

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on 
BlogShares web stats Site Meter